Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hudson Valley Restaurant Week











So it’s my favorite restaurant time of year again…the Hudson Valley Restaurant Week! To me it’s better than the one in NYC, because most of the chefs really take the RW concept seriously and put impressive items on their menus. Of course there are a few that give you the tired chicken and vegetarian pasta and uninspiring fish but most, really go all out and it’s a great treat.

Tonight I went to X20 (Xaviars on the Hudson) – with my Meetup Group "Foodies on the Hudson" which is a restaurant that I frequent regularly and Chef Peter Kelly (who has been featured on Tony Bourdain's No Reservations and beat Bobby Flay in a Ribeye battle on Iron Chef) and his staff didn’t disappoint. The food was impeccable as always and they had additional RW menu items that weren't listed for all 3 courses. Rock Shrimp Risotto in Lobster Cream, (which I had and was DIVINE) 1/2 roasted duck with spaetzle, pumpkin panna cotta, and blueberry cobbler...I also had the salmon which was perfectly cooked with a wink and a nod to Japanese cuisine, the only dish that fell a little flat was the pork loin, a little dry, and the brussels sprouts were over fried so super bitter and charred...the Red velvet cake is the same delicious red velvet cake that is on the menu! Bravo to Peter Kelly for FINALLY putting that cake on the RW menu! (and yes I thanked him personally for it, because I've been asking for that to be included on the RW menu for the past 2 years) I tasted the Mushroom Custard and it was silky and wonderful, and the duck which was moist and crisp...the pork was a little dry and uninspiring (which was the only disappointment on the menu) and the pumpkin panna cotta was incredible. ...everything was great! Peter Kelly always does RW right, and doesn't make his guests feel like second class citizens.

I have a line up of 6 restaurants to try over the next 2 weeks…wish me and my waistline luck!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment