Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pork Tenderloin - Really the other white meat


I'm always hearing commercials touting pork as "the other white meat". "White meat" invokes thoughts of chicken or turkey breast, a generally low fat and healthy alternative to eating red meat (beef, or lamb for example). Pork is in that gray area, it's not beef but there are certain cuts of pork that are just as fattening as a ribeye! So I decided to see if there were any cuts of pork that really did resemble the fat and calorie content of a chicken breast, and low and behold there are a few (and I mean very few) cuts of pork that really can be touted as "the other white meat". Pork tenderloin is an example of one of those cuts. Being a true pork fanatic I never really liked the tenderloin, it is not an exciting cut (those offal cuts that I love like the cheek, snout, ears and feet) and generally it's not flavorful on it's own like a shank or shoulder. In restaurants I often find that it's dry (sometimes to the point of resembling saw dust) and full of glazes and gook and toppings as what I thought was a disguise for its bland flavor.

Because we have a whole pig at our disposal of course there are cuts of tenderloin, so I figured that I would at least try to cook it, considering that if I could make it taste like something it would allow me to eat pork (my absolute favorite food) more than once a week because it's calorie content at 34 calories an ounce resembles chicken breast.

I marinated the tenderloin with a dry rub that included chili pepper, cumin, adobo, brown sugar and ginger and frilled it on the outside grill to exactly 140 degrees and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and then served it with a side of peach chutney that I made with local peaches and spices and onion. It was a flavorful and delicious! I would definitely make it again. The trick is to marinade and make sure you don't over cook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment