Thursday, July 8, 2010

Too Hot to Cook


Today it was too hot to cook, it was almost too hot to even eat (NOT!)...But seriously, when it's this hot I can't begin to think about turning on the stove, oven or even the grill and up here in the Catskills there are very few places that deliver. Therefore on days like today I try to think of innovative ways to have meals that don't require cooking. The first thing that comes to mind is a salad of course, but after eating salads and FroYo for the past 2 days I was ready for a little variety. I had a cucumber and some garlic left over from our 4th of July BBQ that I picked up from Shaul Farm, and a full container of non fat fage yogurt so I realized that I had ingredients for the makings of a damn good tzatziki. I quickly rummaged through my fridge, took out the following ingredients and I made tzatziki for dinner which I paired with some pita bread, this meal took me right to my favorite restaurant in Astoria; Agnanti and the only appliance that I had to turn on was the food processor.

Ingredients*
1 cucumber peeled with seeds removed, shredded in the food processor (or with a cheese grater) and with all liquids squeezed ou
2 cloves of garlic
1 16 oz container of Greek yogurt (preferably Fage)
1/4 cup of sour cream
Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 2 lemons
Parsley for garnish
Salt and Pepper to taste
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if you like on top

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill and serve with pita.
* Note that some people use dill, I'm not a huge fan of dill so I never add it to my tzatziki recipe however feel free to use a teaspoon of dill if you like dill.

2 comments:

  1. I have a question. Can I use non-fat yogurt and non-fat or reduced fat sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can absolutely use non fat yogurt (I always use non fat FAGE yogurt)just make sure it's "greek" style. I don't believe in non-fat sour cream, I don't like the texture, but I do use reduced fat all the time and it would work fine for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete