Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hot For Hot Pepper Jelly











Last year a guest who stayed at our Bed and Breakfast Catskill Maison gave me a jar of hot pepper jam. It was incredible, hot and spicy and tangy and sweet all in one bite. It's pepper season at the farms so I decided to give it a go and try my own version of hot pepper jelly. I went to Shaul Farm today and got a huge red pepper and some red jalapenos and made the below recipe. It seems to be tasty and I hope that the jelly sets. I really want to perfect this recipe because I want it to be a condiment on the cheese plate that customers can order at the wine bar next year.

Hot Red Pepper Jelly – makes Four 8 oz jars

1 really large very ripe sweet red bell pepper or 2 medium sized seeded and coarsely cut to put into food processor

3 or 4 red jalapenos seeded

1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

Process all peppers and add into a pot with 2 cups of sugar, a ½ cup of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of salt, 1 lemon and ½ cup of sweet cherry juice. Bring to a boil and then take off the heat and add 1 ½ packets of pectin. Return to heat and bring to rolling boil for 1 minute, then reduce to simmer, skim the foam and simmer for 5 minutes. Then put the liquid in 8 oz mason jars and close lid.

Can as usual in boiling water to the time appropriate for your altitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment