Monday, August 23, 2010

Its Corn Season












As most who read my blog are aware, I'm very passionate about cooking and eating what is in season whenever possible. Right now is corn season and corn is something that once you eat it locally from the farm you will never eat that frozen cob again! We get our corn from RSK Farm in Prattsville, Bob and Sandy (owners of RSK) have the very best corn, it's so incredibly sweet and crunchy and perfect...however this weekend when I got corn there was a small worm at the top of the ear. So being the city kid I am, I promptly informed Bob and Sandy that the corn (and a few other ears that I peeled back and saw worms) was bad and wormy. So Bob sarcastically told me that there was an instrument invented about ten thousand years ago called a knife, and to cut the very top that the worm was beginning to eat. He then told me that I had choices, either to have him spray the corn until it glowed to avoid the worms or to deal with a harmless worm (because that's what happens in nature) every now and then and get good non pesticide filled corn. I clearly opted for the worm and flicked it off my corn LOL! That's the difference with local corn and knowing your farmer. In the grocery store, that so called perfect produce that we get isn't so perfect...farmers have to subject the fruits and vegetables to some not so environmentally friendly practices for those perfect peaches! Worms aren't so bad after all, and boy am I getting an education!

So, it's been corn season since mid July and I've eaten corn about twice a week now for over a month...but corn season will end in about 3 weeks so I'm getting my fill now, because once it's over it's over. There is but so much grilled corn on the cob that anyone can eat, so at some point in the summer I have to get a little innovative (not that anything is wrong with a simple grilled corn on the cob with or without a compound butter). But tonight it was cold and rainy so I wasn't about to freeze my butt off grilling corn, so I cut the corn off the cobs (best way to do it is to get a kitchen towel and place the cob upright on the towel and cut down the side of the cob, the kernels fall off and don't end up rolling off the counter). My mother and I sauteed the corn in compound butter made up of roasted garlic, fennel, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper added some scallops, lobster and smoked salmon to the corn, sauteed it in wine and lime juice and sprinkled basil on top and had an incredible meal! We ate it with some Rose and 6 grain bread and it was delicious. There are so many options for corn, I only wish it was fresh in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment