Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Hunt For Really Inexpensive White Wine


I always love a good wine bargain. Clearly sometimes you get what you pay for, but I've been able to find some quite good red wines for under $7.00, the Liquor Depot in Oneonta often has really good red wine specials for $3.99 and $4.99 of wines that the distributor wants to move and once the cases are purchased that's the end. PJ's Wine and Liquor store on 204th and Broadway in Inwood (the mecca as far as I'm concerned) has TONS of great red wine bargains (many from Spain and Argentina). However I'm usually hard pressed to find a decent white wine for under $10.00. I like generally like full white wines and they have to be dry, and trust me it's really hard to find a good white wine. Sure there are specials at my favorite shops for $4 and $6 dollars, but the entire bottle of white ends up in a stew or a marinade because it's generally not pleasing at all to my palate.

Yesterday my mom and I went to the Liquor Depot, and she found this $4.99 bottle of Italian white wine Trevini Primo that is 85% Chardonnay grape and 15% Pinot Grigio. So I snidely told her that we will add this to our "cooking wine" collection, because the last $5 purchase of white wine was a usual disaster. We chilled the wine and took a taste and were blown away! No this isn't a Cakebread Chardonnay by any means, but it's a totally drinkable white, even drinkable as a sipping wine without food. This wine is really good, actually for the price it's great. So today I purchased the last case and a half, and lucky me, the distributor was in the store at the time and he said that he had two more cases that he was going to deliver on Thursday and that was it...too bad for other shoppers who might like this wine because I've already purchased the other two cases!

No comments:

Post a Comment