Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Easy Strawberry Shortcake

It's strawberry season, so everyday I incorporate strawberries into a meal. Today it was an easy strawberry shortcake made with Bisquick. As you can see there is no picture, I meant to take one, but I was so greedy that I ate the entire dessert before remembering that I was supposed to photo it (oh well). I'm a huge fan of biscuits and berries and dumplings and berries because I really don't like really sweet desserts, I'm generally a "rich but not sweet" dessert fan. Today my mother and I cut up a bunch of strawberries that we got from Eger Bros Farm in the Hudson Valley (I would guess about 3 cups), we then put 1/2 of the berries in a small pot with a tablespoon of sugar and let simmer for about 5 minutes and then removed the berries with a slotted spoon and let the juice reduce with a tablespoon of fig preserves for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickened. Meanwhile I whipped 1/2 cup of heavy cream with sugar and put it in the fridge, and my mother made bisquick biscuits, with bisquick, 1/2 and 1/2 an egg and 2 tablespoons of honey (look on the package and make the equivalent of 4 large biscuits). She spooned the batter onto a greased sheetpan and we baked it for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. When the biscuits were ready we split them in half, spooned the strawberry sauce with cooked strawberries in the middle, put the lid on the biscuits, sprinkled the fresh cut strawberries, and then topped the biscuits with sweetened whipped cream! Delicious and super simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment