Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sweet Spring Peas


One of the many wonderful aspects of living in the Catskill Mountains over the summer months is the availability to really eat and cook "in season". This week on a trip one afternoon to Barbers Farm in Middleburgh NY I was delighted to discover that the first of the spring shelling peas were harvested that morning. I scooped up a few handfuls with plans to shuck on the lounge chair on the porch. Maybe they would be used to garnish a dish later in the week, so I thought. When I got home, and shucked the peas and ate one raw and the sugary sweet taste hit my tongue I couldn't resist; I had to have them right away. I found some pasta and onion and decided to make a play on the classic pairing of peas and onions. This dish was so tasty and light and refreshing a perfect late spring/early summer treat. I used bacon but it would be just as tasty completely vegetarian.

Penne with Fresh Spring Peas, Sauteed Onion and Pesto
Serves 2

1/4 box of Penne
1/2 large onion sauteed until soft
2 strips of Bacon - diced
1 cup of shelled spring peas boiled in salted water for 4-5 minutes
2 tablespoons of pesto
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil and then salt and add the penne cook until al dente don't drain the pasta water.
While penne is cooking saute bacon and then onion in a pan, add the peas and pesto. Then add the pasta without draining the pasta water. Add a little of the pasta water to the pan to create a starchy sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment