Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Grappa - Can this be a diet drink too????

A couple of months ago I wrote a blog about wine being a "diet drink"...and because I'm a huge wine drinker it was music to my ears that I could drink wine on a regular basis without having to deal with the caloric intake of hard alcohol. I'm not a huge dessert fan, often when out with friends who get dessert I ask for a Grappa instead. Ok I know, this looks really bad and completely reinforces my wino tendencies but most of the time I'd rather sip on a Grappa than have a dessert. Tonight was no exception. My father and I went to Jakes Steakhouse here in Riverdale for dinner. We go all the time, the food is wonderful and it's one of the few places in the general vicinity where you can get a decent glass of wine with dinner. My dad ordered a boston cream pie for dessert and true to form I ordered a Grappa. It would make sense that I'm a huge fan of Grappa because Grappa is simply wine "left overs", generally enjoyed after dinner. It is made from the remaining seed and skins of grapes, known as "Pomacy" or "Pomace", left after the wine-making process, The Pomace is fermented and then distilled, leaving Grappa, an 80 to 90-proof brandy, generally clear in color. Grappa is an acquired taste, some akin it to drano, or windshield wiper fluid...I happen to love it, go figure. Regardless I'm proud to report that Grappa is only 85 calories an ounce WOO HOO!!!!! That means that it's about 1/6th the calories of a molten chocolate lava cake! Therefore, Grappa is a wonderful liquid dessert! Now I can add Grappa to the list of diet drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment