Friday, June 4, 2010

Salad Straight From The Farm - Taste The Difference


I used to hate salad. I'm generally not a cold food person (don't like sandwiches, generally can't stomach cold soup etc), I think my dislike derived from the insistence of my mother that a hot breakfast is very necessary to start the day when I was a child. Regardless, salad for me was the worst of the worst, and until the beginning of this year I only ate it because I felt somehow "obligated" because I knew it was "good for me" and in reality if there was a cooked vegetable anywhere in the vicinity that salad would just wilt on my plate.

Then I decided to make some dietary changes (no I'm not on a diet, I love food too much), but I firmly believe that what we put in has an effect down the road on how our body responds...so I've started making salad a regular part of my daily food intake. I like spicy foods, so I figured I would try spicy salads, so Arugula (translation "Rocket Lettuce" and quite spicy) has become my favorite. Whole Foods has Satur Farms Arugula (they grow it in their hot house in the winter) so every week I've been buying a container and roasting beets and having beet and arugula salad all week long.

Last week I had a discussion with Sandy at RSK farms and she said that her husband Bob (where I get the only potatoes that I will eat, but that's another blog for another day) was cutting the first salad greens of the season. I promptly put in an order for Bob's mesclun mix (which is one of the few salads that I actually could stomach without a fight last summer) and arugula. When I got home I opened the salads and mixed them together and had a bite. OMG, this salad ROCKED!!!! it popped in my mouth! The flavors exploded, I never thought that variations on lettuce could taste so good. It didn't even need dressing! Sorry Satur Farms but you don't hold a wick of a candle to RSK in Prattsville.

I called Bob this morning because I'm heading up to the B&B today and left him a message to place my order for next week and I can't wait to feel that first crunch between my teeth again!

So just an fyi, salad greens and radishes are in season at the local farmers markets right now...Please support the local farmers and purchase some this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment