Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bailey's Irish Cream - Not Only For Drinking

My father was given Bailey's Irish Cream as a birthday gift. Only problem, nobody in our family drinks Baileys; so in order to get rid of the Bailey's my mother and I have decided that we should find "inventive" ways to use it in desserts.

Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to bake, and last week it was so hot outside that I really didn't want to turn on the oven in my apartment but I wanted a dessert that wasn't ice cream. One of my standby's when I don't want to turn on the oven is Tiramisu. I had Bailey's and heavy cream in the fridge so I figured I'd run to Whole Foods and get some ladyfingers and mascarpone and make a Tiramisu.

When I got to Whole Foods the strawberries were on sale so I picked up a container, and then got this idea to make a strawberry dessert incorporating the ladyfingers soaked in the Bailey's. I didn't purchase the mascarpone, because I wanted to do a "play" on strawberries and cream (a dish that I absolutely adore in the summertime and it was literally 90 degrees outside). I ended up combining the heavy cream with a little creme fraiche and made this really good and refreshing dessert!

Recipe:
1 pint of heavy cream
1 package of Strawberries (thinly sliced)
a cup of Bailey's Irish Cream
1/3 cup of Confectioners Sugar
1/4 cup of creme fraiche
bittersweet chocolate shavings

Whip the heavy cream with the sugar, 30 seconds before you stop whipping add the creme fraiche and whip into the whipped heavy cream.
Take 1/3 of the lady fingers and soak each for about 30 seconds in the Bailey's. Then layer them in one layer in a baking pan. Spread the cream over the lady fingers, and spread the strawberries over the cream. Repeat all steps twice, except the top layer will only have cream and no strawberries. Let sit in the fridge at least 4 hours (preferably overnight), and then sprinkle the cream with the chocolate shavings and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment