Monday, April 5, 2010

It's all about the Struffoli


Struffoli are an Italian honey ball dessert that I (and now my cat Kobe as well) have been addicted to since I was about 6 years old. They are usually made around Christmas time and if you go to Little Italy in the Bronx every bakery has them...But they are not all created equal. A good struffoli is a perfect balance between crunch, airiness, stickiness (from the honey) and a hint of lemon. A bad struffoli can be too cake like or heavy, no lemon, under saturated or over saturated with honey or worst of all not crunchy, so tasting like a stale cookie.

Artuso Bakery on 187th street in Little Italy (near Arthur Ave) has the best struffoli hands down! And they are one of the few bakeries that also make it for Easter! I'm so happy because I've been eating them for the past week. For all those in search of the best struffoli, your search is officially over. The struffoli mecca is at Artuso's.

No comments:

Post a Comment