Thursday, April 22, 2010

Shrimp-n-Grits


I'm here in Charleston South Carolina - the SC Low Country and the originator of what has become a wildly popular dish nationwide; Shrimp and Grits.

My family comes from here, and on special occasions (such as Christmas morning as it's tradition) and once in awhile at our Bed and Breakfast Catskill Maison my mother will whip up possibly the best version of shrimp and grits in the world. She uses huge gulf or South Carolina coastal shrimp and the most flavorful andouille sausage. We have this dish featured on our Bed and Breakfast homepage, because it symbolizes so much where we are from and what we are about. Shrimp and grits recipes are sacred, and varied...and I'm extremely critical when I eat it in public. It simply never measures up anywhere close to my mother's so I've pretty much stopped ordering it at restaurants. Until last night.

Since Charleston is the birthplace of Shrimp and Grits and Hanks Seafood Restaurant is possibly the best seafood restaurant in Charleston I thought I'd take the risk and order the shrimp and grits...I'm so glad that I did. The shrimp were plump, moist and perfectly cooked (as we know one of my huge pet peeves is overdone shrimp). The sausage was flavorful and the roux wasn't too salty or spicy and the perfect consistency...they even used the green onion garnish perfectly. The Grits were stone ground, and creamy but not runny and had a solid consistency. Bravo! This dish was as close to my mother's as I've ever eaten. For those of you who've been fortunate enough to experience the shrimp and grits that we make at the Bed and Breakfast, and are disappointed elsewhere...or for anyone traveling to Charleston in general, the Shrimp and Grits at Hanks Seafood Restaurant gets the thumbs up and meets my approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment