Monday, April 12, 2010

Herbs and the Food Processor

Yesterday I went to a BBQ at a dear friends house. He chose to grill skirt steaks (churrasco) which is often accompanied with chimichurri which is kind of like a South American pesto.

When we picked up the groceries for the BBQ I suggested that we make a chimichurri to go along with the churrasco. After we got back to his place and I began to prep I asked for the food processor so that I could make the chimichurri. The food processor is second on my list of kitchen necessities (a close second to my knives). When my friend told me that he didn't have a food processor I had a temporary panic. I've become so accustomed to the food processor that I actually sat for about 30 seconds wondering how I was going to make the chimichurri without it. Then I said to myself "Lea, don't be ridiculous...for hundreds of years before the food processor people were making chimichurri. Use a knife!"...and that's what I did. Guess what? By not using the food processor the flavor of the herbs in the chimichurri were enhanced! Food processors dull herbs, and reduce their quality because they become bruised...the level of control of the size of the individual ingredients (and therefore texture) of your sauce is also removed. I did a tiny dice of all of the ingredients and combined them in a bowl!!!! WOW! this was the best chimichurri I've ever made.

Recipe

Chop the following very finely and add to a bowl
1 bunch of parsley
1/2 bunch of cilantro
8 cloves of garlic
1/2 medium sized red onion (or 1/4 large red onion)

Add to the above
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
juice and zest of 2 lemons
4-6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment