Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Clam Pizza???!!!


Last night I went to the Famous Frank Pepe's Pizzeria that has been featured time and again on the Food Network and Travel Channel. Coming from the Bronx I'm very opinionated. I think that the mom and pop pizza shops from the Bronx have the best pizza in the world and I'm quick to make a judgment about pizza joints that are "chains". I want my pizza crisp, and thin, with only a few toppings and I want to be able to neatly fold my pizza to eat it.

Frank Pepe's Pizzeria only has 2 things on the menu; brick oven pizza and salad. They have their tomato pizza with mozzarella and list toppings that can be added and a few specialty pizza's, including their Clam Pizza. I love clams, and I love cheese...but I generally have an aversion to cheese with seafood, it just doesn't go together. But I ordered the clam pizza because the waitress said it was really good and I was intrigued. It was AMAZING! The crust was super thin, crispy and slightly charred in a good way. The clams were large, and chewy but tender and the garlic was the perfect complement. And the cheese, well it just worked. No sauce, just mozzarella and not overwhelming, the perfect amount with oregano sprinkled over it. This pizza is really addictive and I will be returning again and again!

I've learned a lesson from this, if done properly seafood can be paired with cheese, the experience might have opened up a new culinary path for me. Stay tuned for recipes combining seafood and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment