Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Promised Land AKA Iron Horse Grill in Pleasantville



I've just returned from the "promised land", and no it wasn't a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, or a trip to the local church or Synagogue...I just got back from Iron Horse Grill in Pleasantville (Westchester County) and now I will have all of the religious fanatics screaming that I committed Blasphemy. But in all honesty there is no other way to explain the experience.

I first dined at Iron Horse Grill during this past Hudson Valley Restaurant Week and I heard from word of mouth that Iron Horse was one of the best. As I stated in my blog post back in March, I was so blown away that I made another reservation while still dining. But that experience didn't prepare me in the least for the treat that I was in for tonight. Overall this was one of the best dining experiences that I've ever had, and I'm no stranger to the NY restaurant scene.

We got the $49 prix fixe (which is any appetizer, entree and dessert and a steal considering the quality of food). I have to break down this meal course by course (which I never do because it makes blog posts too long, but to not explain in detail wouldn't do this experience justice).

For appetizers we had the salmon "sliders", timbale of peaky toe crab, seared diver scallops and Duck confit salad.

First the Sliders - soft but crunchy toasted brioche, perfectly cured salmon, smooth and well seasoned spread...AWESOME! So good that my father (who puts hot sauce on absolutely everything) refused to put hot sauce on them...as a matter of fact this is the first time in history that he didn't put hot sauce on anything at all, his entire meal was hot sauce free...and this is really significant, because the man even puts hot sauce on french toast!
The crab - I can barely speak, the sweetness of the tarragon coupled with the saltiness of the caviar, and then the smooth texture of the avocado with the crunch of the sweet corn and the freshness and sweetness of the crab all rolled into one, and then there was what seemed like a chive aioli with tomato garnishing the plate as an "accent" ...simply brilliant and it just popped in your mouth.
The Scallops - okay so scallops and shrimp are a major pet peeve for me. Nothing is more irritating to me than an over cooked scallop or shrimp, it clearly states a lack of attention to detail by the line (or God forbid the chef)...I'm such a stickler that I dedicated an entire blog post to the issue. Well my mother gave me a bite of her scallop, and it was perfectly crusted (seared) on the outside and melt in your mouth soft inside, and so sweet...just perfect! Bravo to chef McGrath and his team.
Duck Confit salad- ok so the duck was perfect, but to me that wasn't the star of this show...what made this dish so incredibly special was the celery root...ok pause yes you read this properly, celery root! A vegetable that is often overlooked and I often just dismiss because I'm not very fond of it. Chef McGrath julienned the celery root, and then added (what I think was) dijon mustard, mayo, celery seed, salt, white wine (or wine vinegar) salt and pepper and created this slaw that was OUT OF THIS WORLD! I was swooning...so simple but just so good.

Entrees equally innovative and spot on!
Duck - perfectly cooked and not tough, well spiced and the rhubarb chutney was lovely, a perfect combination of sweet and sour. The forbidden rice was out of this world...spicy at first and then it plays tricks on your taste buds because the finish is sweet!
Rack of Lamb (pictured above) - also perfectly cooked, and incredible presentation but the star here was the polenta, firm on the outside but pudding soft center, and the apricot and black (I think kalamata) olive tapenade was brilliantly placed on top of the soft polenta, so when I took a bite of the polenta and tapenade and lamb together I had sweet and salty and sour and chewy and firm and soft all hitting my palate at once...oh yes then I picked up the bone and tried to hide in the corner as I was chewing and gnawing like a yard dog!
Pork Porterhouse (also pictured above) - is there a need to critique here? Pork should be a food group! And as a porter house it was so succulent and the crisp onion rings that were not remotely greasy and the homemade steak sauce (this isn't your A-1 happening here, no sir!) and the gorgonzola potatoes, ok gorgonzola with anything is amazing! And to pair it with the "homely" potato really rounded out the flavor of the whole dish.
Dessert -
I have to be honest here, I ran out of steam so I didn't have the blueberry cobbler (though after my father was done with it, there was no need to run the plate through the dishwasher). I only had a tiny bite of the Chocolate Marquis, but it's a super rich chocolate lovers dream (and it was really decadent and I might order it in a couple of weeks LOL!). I did manage to indulge in the dried cherry bread pudding...AMAZING! The cherries were the perfect slightly sour complement to the sweet molasses and pecan ice cream, so the sweetness wasn't overpowering. The pudding was firm and warm and lovely. A perfect end to a perfect meal.

All in all, Chef Philip McGrath, his wife Catherine (who manages the front of the house) and his team get it! They balance elegant and comfortable perfectly. Chef McGrath doesn't skimp on quality and most of all he really cares about his product and has pride in everything he does. There is passion and love in his food, his staff and his restaurant...that passion and love comes from the heart and can't be orchestrated. From the minute you step into the space you feel like an old friend, and the level of care that is extended is so genuine you just want to come back again and again...and we will be doing just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment